Important Technology Update
Destiny® Library Manager™, FollettShelf™ and Aspen Software Products
As you saw this past school year, Follett is committed to continually enhancing our digital products. We improved the functionality for reading/managing Follett eBooks and our other digital content in FollettShelf, integrated FollettShelf and Destiny Library Manager, and introduced our new Follett Digital Reader app. Over the next school year, we’ll be releasing additional improvements that make Follett eBooks and digital content easier to use and give you more options for the computers and mobile devices that work with our digital products.
Our plans for school year 2012-2013 include introducing more extensive discovery, reading and study tools for students and making it easier for teachers to attach digital resource links to books and to incorporate great digital content into their lesson plans. FollettShelf will get a fresh, new look to provide a more engaging student experience. We’ll also provide greater customization capabilities to promote your school and support the needs of different grades. Destiny Library Manager will support convenient direct access to all FollettShelf functionality and content. Other highlights include:
- New support for reading on small devices (smartphones and smaller tablet devices)
- Reflowable text
- A simpler checkout process and new support for holds
- New notebook functions that allow patrons to continue to access notes even after eBooks are returned, take notes across books, and support project-based learning
- Offline/download improvements that make it easier for students and staff to use your content anywhere at any time
- Resource links will be available from each eBook to allow the student to easily discover other related digital content
In order to take advantage of these upcoming enhancements and provide your students and staff with the best reading/learning experience possible, we recommend your technology staff install one or more of the following browsers on any workstations/laptops/notebooks/tablets and other devices that will be used to access Follett eBooks in Destiny Library Manager, FollettShelf or Aspen:
- Mozilla Firefox v5 and higher
- Google Chrome v14 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer v9 and higher
- Apple Safari v5 and higher
In addition, offline reading support will require Firefox v9 or higher and Internet Explorer v10 or higher.
Additionally, since Adobe has discontinued support for Adobe Flash Player 9 due to high security risks, we’re upgrading our existing Follett eBook reader to use Adobe Flash Player v11.1. We strongly recommend you update your computers to Adobe Flash Player v11.1 over the summer in order to avoid any potential that your computers could be compromised or even hijacked.
It’s important to note that if you don’t upgrade to Adobe Flash Player v11.1, your patrons will still be able to access your Follett eBooks. However, your eBook functionality will be less than what’s currently available.
Should you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our Follett Software Technical Support team at 800.323.3397 or 1.815.344.8700 for more information.